- This event has passed.
SD Rural Health Leaders Conference
June 14 at 12:30 pm to June 15 at 3:00 pm CDT
June 14 & 15, 2017
Drifters Conference Center
325 Hustan Avenue ~ Fort Pierre, South Dakota
South Dakota’s rural health leaders are invited to this networking and
education event developed in partnership between the SD Healthcare Financial
Management Association, SD Office of Rural Health, Community HealthCare
Association of the Dakotas and SD Association of Healthcare Organizations.
Programming has been planned for hospital and clinic leadership, including
CEOs ,CFOs, directors and administrators.
Wednesday, June 14, 2017
- 12:30 pm Opening Lunch. Meet and network with other rural health leaders at the opening lunch.
- 1:00-2:00 pm The Ethical Case for Excellence in Rural Health Care. Benjamin Anderson, CEO, Kearny County Hospital, Lakin, KS, will share his story as CEO of a frontier health care delivery system in one of the most culturally diverse and medically underserved areas. He addresses the fatalism that has become common in rural communities, while referencing the Four Principles of Biomedical Ethics to make a compelling case for essential steps to effective, sustainable reform.
- 2:15-3:15 pm USDA Funding Process and Guidance. Diane Sieperda, Loan Specialist, and Tim Murray, Loan Specialist, Rural Development/USDA, will discuss the USDA funding process from start to completion and sign-off.
- 3:30-4:30 pm Advanced Practice Professionals Panel Discussion
Wade Nilson, Chair, USD PA Program, Dr. Diane Smith, Chief Nursing Administrator, Division of Nursing, Assistant Professor of Nursing, Mount Marty College, Yankton, and Linda Young, Nursing Practice Specilists, Director SD Nursing Workforce Center, SD Board of Nursing, will provide the latest information on attracting these important providers to your community and promotion of practicing to the top of license.
- 5:30 pm Social Hour, Dinner and Games.
After an afternoon of education, relax and continue networking during a social hour and dinner. Join the fun with fellow attendees by participating in lawn games set up on the greenspace along the Missouri River
Thursday, June 15, 2017
- 7:30 am Continental Breakfast.
- 8:00-9:00 am Thoughts on Rural Health from Lt. Governor Matt Michels. Lt Governor Michels will join us to kick off the second day of the conference for a conversation about rural health from his perspective. Where would we like to go and how can we get there together?
- 9:15-10:15 am EMS in Rural Setting–New Models. Mark Schmidt, President, and Roy Goben, Ambulance Operations Manager, Lead-Deadwood Regional Hospital will discuss proposed models of EMS in rural settings. Jason Culberson, Division Chief, Rapid City Fire Department, and his team will share their experience with the mobile integration health pilot project.
- 10:30-11:30 am Primary Care/ Behavioral Health Models of Care/ SBIRT Grant Project.
A care coordination team from Avera St. Mary’s Hospital will discuss successes with their primary care/behavioral health model of care. Melanie Boetel, SD Department of Social Services, and staff from a participating clinic will share information on SBIRT, a grant project to promote early, brief mental health screenings.
- 11:30 am Lunch
- 12:15-1:15 pm Office of Rural Health Update
Office of Rural Health staff will provide updates on recruitment programs, trauma system, EMS and other current topics.
- 1:30-2:30 pm Advancing Healthy Communities Through Quality Integration.
Shelly Ten Napel, CEO, Community HealthCare Association of the Dakotas, and Scott A. Duke, President/CEO, SDAHO, will lead a discussion on delivering quality care in rural communities, making health care safer and more effective and ensuring the best possible outcomes for South Dakotans.
- 2:30 pm Adjourn
Questions Contact Rhonda Christensen at 605-361-2281 with any questions.
For more information or to register online, click here.
For Agenda or to register offline, click here.