- This event has passed.
Webinar: Antibiotic Stewardship Program Requirements
August 23 at 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm CDT
Meeting Antibiotic Stewardship Program Requirements
in the Long Term Care Environment
Wednesday, August 23, 2017
Noon – 1:00 pm (CDT) / 11:00 am – Noon (MDT)
This educational activity is jointly provided by AXIS Medical Education and
South Dakota Association of Healthcare Organizations
Overview: This webinar will address a requirement from the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services that all US nursing homes institute an antibiotic stewardship program by November, 2017. It will (a) describe the scientific evidence on antibiotic overuse in nursing homes, including the common situations in which antibiotics are frequently overprescribed; (b) results from an implementation trial of antibiotic stewardship in 27 nursing homes; (c) describe how nursing homes can track infections and antibiotic use as part of an antibiotics stewardship quality improvement program; (d) describe methods of assessing nursing home residents with suspected infections and communicating that information to medical providers who are on or off-sits; (e) discuss strategies to effectively treat and monitor patients who are not receiving antibiotics for situations where antibiotics are overprescribed; and (f) present specific target behaviors and educational programs aimed at improving antibiotic use.
Target Audience: Physicians providing care to long term care facility residents, administrators, directors of nursing, other post-acute care professionals.
- Describe common clinical situations where antibiotics are overused.
- Describe the consequences of antibiotic overuse in the nursing home.
- Assess nursing home residents with suspected urinary, respiratory or skin/soft tissue infection using evidence-based guidelines.
- Ensure effective communication with off-site providers in cases of suspected urinary, respiratory or skin/soft tissue infection.
- Implement alternative care strategies in cases where antibiotics are determined unnecessary.
To register online, click here.
For more information or to register offline, click here.