Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) implemented new opioid policies for Medicare drug plans effective January 1, 2019. The new policies include:
- Improved safety alerts when patients fill opioid prescriptions at the pharmacy
- Drug management programs for patients at-risk for misuse or abuse of opioids or other drugs
- During this call, CMS experts discuss the new policies and answer questions.
The Medicare Learning Network (MLN) will host a public training event on CMS Part D Opioid Overutilization Policies on Thursday, February 14th from 1:30-3:00pm EST.
There are several items to assist with understanding the new opioid policies, linked on the registration page. Below are a few of these items:
- A Prescriber’s Guide to the New Medicare Part D Opioid Overutilization Policies for 2019 MLN Matters® Article
- Reducing Opioid Misuse webpage for more information on the CMS strategy
- Resources to reduce Misuse webpage for payers, healthcare providers, and state information
Click here to visit the MLN registration page for registration information and additional event details.