The American Nurses Association (ANA) is pleased to offer a free, on-demand webinar, for all RNs. Criminal Charges Against Nurses: What you should know and what you can do is presented by Edie Brous, JD, MS, MPH, RN. Edie combines her experience and passion for nursing and the law by representing, advising, educating, and advocating in the interests of nurses. Edie has given presentations and written extensively in the health professions, with a focus on nursing liability prevention, documentation practices, professional licensure protection, class action lawsuits, patients’ rights, and legislative policy as it relates to nurses and public health. Much of her work has sought to raise the awareness of nurses regarding legal issues, specifically, licensure protection and nursing malpractice claims (both with respect to the nature of malpractice trials and avoidance of such claims).
To keep this webinar free for all nurses, the ANA asks that ALL viewers register using this link:
This webinar will cover:
- How criminal charges for medical errors undermine patient safety
- Just Culture and support for the Second Victim
- How professional organizations have responded to medical errors
- Examples of similar cases and the risk of cases being brought against nurses for medical errors in the future
- Steps you can take to reduce your criminal liability
- How to become involved in addressing the issue of criminalization of medical errors
In addition, there will also be an opportunity to view another webinar sponsored by the ANA and presented by Edie Brous, Seven Important Facts to Know about Your Nursing License to Stay in Good Standing.