The 2021 South Dakota Legislative session is under way, with several bills already filed that will impact the healthcare community. The South Dakota Association of Healthcare Organizations remain present and active in our statehouse, taking direction from members and testifying on measures when needed.
SDAHO CEO, Tim Rave has been a consistent voice on a handful of bills when needed, including Senate Bill 3. This bill will enforce directives regarding contagious disease control. The measure made it out of the full Senate and into the House Health and Human services committee where it passed 8 to 5. It is now headed for further consideration by members of the House of Representatives. A statewide mask mandate took center stage in Pierre this week, it was given a do pass without recommendation by members of the Senate Health and Human services committee. Its next stop will be the full Senate for further consideration. SDAHO is continuing to follow several of the bills that deal with mental health, health insurance and medical marijuana. There are also a handful of bills that our team is monitoring but has not yet taken a position on:
- House Bill 1139 – An Act to authorize visitation of hospital patients and other health care facility residents. SDAHO Position: TBD
- House Bill 1154 – An Act to prohibit employment contracts restricting competitive health care practices. What this means: This bill bans non-compete clauses for Physicians, PA’s, CRNA’s, RN’s and LPN’s. SDAHO Position: TBD
- House Bill 1159 – An Act to prohibit interference with the right to bodily integrity in contagious disease control. What this means: Appears to be targeted against mandating COVID-19 vaccinations for employment or other purposes. May have a larger impact on vaccines, and other employment related COVID-19 testing practices. SDAHO Position: TBD
- HB 1188 – An Act to make an appropriation to the Board of Regents for the implementation of a nurse anesthesia program and to declare an emergency. SDAHO Position: Neutral
- HB 1147 – An Act to revise the definition of bona fide practitioner-patient relationship in relation to medical cannabis. SDAHO Position: TBD
For more information on the 2021 South Dakota Legislature and measures that may impact the healthcare community, visit us online at www.sdaho.org. Get the latest information on legislation affecting SD healthcare by viewing SDAHO’s Bill Tracker.