Michelle Hofer, BSN, RN, CPHQ, a Clinical Improvement Consultant with the South Dakota Association of Healthcare Organizations recently took part in the Compass Topic-Focused Open Office Hour Series. Hofer’s presentation focused on best practices hospitals can use when it comes to prescribing opioids.
This bi-monthly series was created to assist hospitals in achieving their quality improvement goals. The Compass HQIC team hosts topic-focused open office hour calls, via zoom to review measure specifications, address frequently asked questions and provide a forum for hospitals across the HQIC network to share best practices with each other.
Hofer was able to share measure specifications details related to:
- Measure submission locations
- Required and optional measures
- Hospital Acquired Opioid-Related Adverse Drug Events
- Opioid Mortality
- ADE’s: Stat Naloxone Administration – Emergency Department & inpatient
- High Dose Opioid Prescribing Upon Discharge
Attendees were also given data review information on a variety of areas. A few included:
- March 2023 Compass HQIC Reporting Percentages
- Measure baseline, performance, and improvement rates
- Return on Investment
- For every Opioid ADE avoided the hospital saves $6,387
- Compass HQIC hospitals have avoided 23 harms saving $151,445.60 since January 2022.
Best Practices on opioid prescribing were also reviewed, along with a hospital performance improvement project on opioid prescribing which was shared by guest presenter Scott Forby, PharmD, MBA, regarding his work while a pharmacist with Rice Memorial Hospital in Willmar, MN.
The Compass topic-focused open office series started in January 2023 with topics focusing on:
- JANUARY 31 Anticoagulation
- FEBRUARY 14 Pressure Ulcer/Injury
- FEBRUARY 28 Central Line-Associated Bloodstream Infection
- MARCH 14 Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections
- MARCH 28 Sepsis
- APRIL 11 Hypoglycemia
- APRIL 25 Opioid
The series will continue through June 6 with the following topics scheduled:
- MAY 9 Clostridioides Difficile
- MAY 23 Readmission
- JUNE 6 Carbapenem-Resistant Enterobacteriaceae/ Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus
All scheduled sessions are from 1pm CT to 2pm CT. For those that are interested in taking part in the remaining three sessions, click here.