South Dakota Medicaid removed the Same Community Services restrictions for telemedicine services. Medicaid will now cover telemedicine services for providers and recipients located in the same community. The services covered by teledentistry have also been expanded to include:
- D0120: Periodic oral evaluation—established patient
- D0140: Limited oral exam
- D0145: Oral evaluation for a recipient under 3 years of age
- D0150: Comprehensive oral evaluation—new or established patient
- D0210: Intraoral—complete series of radiographic images
- D0220: Intraoral—periapical first radiographic image
- D0230: Intraoral—periapical each additional radiographic image
- D0240: Intraoral—occlusal radiographic image
- D0270: Bitewing—single radiographic image
- D0272: Bitewings—two radiographic images
- D0273: Bitewings—three radiographic images
- D0274: Bitewings—four radiographic images
- D0330: Panoramic radiographic image
More information on teledentistry coverage can be found here.
Additionally, out of state providers must have the appropriate licensing to serve recipients in South Dakota, but the out-of-state prior authorization requirement does not apply to telemedicine services. Coverage of telephonic services approved on a temporary basis have been discontinued. However, an administrative rules package will be brought forth in the coming months to permanently enable covered use of some audio services.
More information on South Dakota telemedicine services and coverage can be found here.