This past Thursday wrapped up week 3 of the 2023 Legislative session. As anticipated, committee hearings and floor debates are beginning to pick up. So far, SDAHO is actively tracking over 70 pieces of legislation. To take a closer look at all of the bills SDAHO is following, visit the Bill Tracker on the SDAHO advocacy page.
Mental health is once again a topic this session, with SDAHO supporting several measures.
- HCR 6002 encourages the Executive Board of the Legislature to continue researching childhood mental health and mental health services available to children in our state.
- HB 1079 will make an appropriation to the Department of Health to provide grants to support mental health and suicide prevention programs. There is an emergency clause on the bill, which means it will go into effect immediately, if signed by the Governor, rather than waiting until the normal July 1st implementation date.
- SB 7, clarifies emergency commitments of severely mentally ill persons by appropriate regional facilities.
- HB 1044 will provide scholarship funds for individual’s entering the behavioral Health field.
- HB 1055 which will increase the dollar amount for the opportunity scholarship
- HB 1039 will help members of the South Dakota National Guard with tuition costs.
All three bills are successfully working their way through the legislative process.
To learn more about all of the bills being introduced this legislative session, visit the South Dakota Legislative Research Council., To listen to live or archived committee hearings or floor debates, visit www.sd.net