SDAHO will host two webinars the week of October 16 that impacts every South Dakota hospital. The two sessions will focus on regulatory compliance related to QAPI and infection prevention and control, and antibiotic stewardship. Join regulatory experts Nancy Ruzicka and Laura Dixon as they cover regulations, updates and provide resources to equip your team to ensure hospital compliance.
October 17 at 12-1pm CST Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement Program (QAPI) Updates | Presenter: Nancy Ruzicka
This webinar is a must for all hospitals. This webinar will discuss the new interpretative guidelines for QAPI that were published in March, 2023 as well discuss the QAPI program conditions of participation for critical access hospitals, which went into effect March 30, 2021, and the changes made to the conditions of participation for general acute hospitals that went into effect Nov. 29, 2019. This is one of three conditions of participation for which CMS has published a worksheet to guide surveyors through the process to determine whether hospitals comply with this condition.
- Discuss the board responsibility for the QAPI program.
- Explain changes to the general acute hospital QAPI standards and interpretative guidelines.
- Explain the basic requirements for an effective QAPI program.
- Review the QAPI worksheet so staff understand surveyor expectations.
October 19 at 12-1:30pm CST | CMS Hospital Infection Prevention and Control and Antibiotic Stewardship Program: CMS Compliance Requirements | Presenter: Laura Dixon
A hospital must have an active infection control program throughout the facility to track, prevent, and control infectious diseases, including Healthcare Associated Infections, or HAIs. Additionally, the hospital must have a program for the optimization of antibiotic use through stewardship. This program will discuss the changes CMS made to the infection control standards in 2019, and the interpretive guidelines developed in July 2022.
The program will cover what a hospital must have in place to comply with the regulation, including qualifications of the infection preventionist, the existence of a hospital-wide antibiotic stewardship program and following nationally recognized infection control standards.
This webinar will cover the CDC vaccine storage, handling toolkit, and the procedures for cleaning and disinfecting reusable medical devices. The Joint Commission standards on the Antibiotic Stewardship Program (ASP) will be discussed.
- Recall the standard and new interpretive guidelines for infection prevention and control
- Relate key requirements for an infection prevention and control program
- Identify the requirements for the infection preventionist and Antibiotic Stewardship lead
- Describe what CMS requires for safe injection practices and sharps safety
- Discuss that CMS has a final infection control worksheet
Click here to check out other upcoming webinars.